FIVE DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS
MEAL FOR ABOUT 12 PEOPLE
We all need a slow cooked meat dish in our repertoire. It basically means you can cook a meal for 12 people without exhausting yourself or ending up in the nut house. The genius of this recipe is that it is a complete doddle to make, it cooks while you sleep, literally – so you need to start this the evening before the day you need it, and has the advantage of being able to be two entirely different meals, depending on what you fancy. I will explain this at the end ... I am well aware that eating Pig is forbidden by most major religions but this one is for the Christians and their "Christmas" and of course any other universal soldiers out there.
1 shoulder of pork 5-6kgs bone in (really try your best to get a properly farmed pig)
6 cloves of garlic grated
5cm ginger grated
2 fresh red chillies chopped
4 Tablespoons of olive oil
4 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
Pound the garlic, ginger, chillies and add the oil and vinegar.
- Score the pork skin and rub the mixture into the skin.
- Place the shoulder into a large roasting tin and bake uncovered for 30 minutes skin side up in your hot oven. After 30 minutes cover with foil and turn the oven down to 120 degrees C and leave to bake overnight.
- The following morning check for tenderness – it should be meltingly soft, otherwise leave in the oven for another few hours.
- When tender, remove carefully and place in a clean roasting pan. Keep pan juices.
- Pre-heat oven to its highest setting. Season well with salt and – with skin side up – return to the oven for about 30 minutes or until you have a hot, crisp crackling.
- While this is in the oven, remove all the fat from the pan juices and
- add some freshly grated ginger,
- a tablespoon of honey,
- 2 tablespoons of Soy sauce and
- 2 tablespoons of Rice Vinegar
- Bring to the boil.
- Add a blob of cold butter and stir in to make an Asian style sauce for the shoulder.
Serve whole with sauce on the side with a creamy potato bake and roasted tomatoes.
Serve the still warm shredded pork and sauce with bowls of butter lettuce, hoisin sauce, roasted crushed peanuts, vermicelli rice noodles, fresh coriander and use Vietnamese Rice Paper (you need to have a bowl of warm water on the table so each person can soak and soften their own Rice Paper as they need them) to make wraps.
Drink with Solace Syrah. Yum!